01 March 2016

the importance of girlfriends

i have read several blog posts and essays about the importance of girlfriends in a woman's life, but this one made me cry. probably because of the story of emily and her husband joe. and the line, 'how many women had friends who could write their husband's obituary?'

the article also noted that 'having great friends is largely a matter of being a great friend'. true. i am failing there methinks. i used to be a good friend. but now, my friends are too far away for me to do anything for them. and i am too tired and bogged down in my small little world. (which leads me to wonder upon the reason i have not been able to make a lot of new friends here..)

sigh. i have awesome friends around the world though, for which i am very very thankful. that they are not right here, totally sucks. but i am still glad they are there. that at one point in time, we were together.

#microblog mondays

2 comments:

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I think friendships also change with adulthood. Or, if they don't, there is something else that is traded to keep that same expectation of how friendships felt when we were younger. At least, that is what I tell myself :-)

Mali said...

Friendships can be hard to cultivate long distance and making new friends, especially as adults, is tough too. When I've felt lonely, I've at least felt comforted by online friends. I hope you have that too.